Things at a Theme Park that Surprised you.

July 22, 2015, 7:19 AM

This will be a discussion about Theme park things (general category) that shocked or surprised you the most. There will be no silly wand waving or fighting about how Universal it is much superior than Disney tolerated in the Thread.

I was most surprised to see how the bathrooms are not a mess. Given the sheer number of visits to a bathroom per day per visitor, I thought they would be rather rancid, but I was wrong. The major theme parks I have visited keep them fairly clean.

I was also surprised by Cheetah Chase in Busch Gardens Tampa. The first time we rode it, you felt like you would be launched right off the track after the first hill launch.

The price of a Beer is also shocking…

Replies (15)

Edited: July 24, 2015, 7:22 PM

Having to pay for parking when staying at Portofino Bay.
The price of beer.

July 25, 2015, 2:30 PM

The amount of 3D/4D rides. There's more of them then I thought there was.

July 26, 2015, 4:51 AM

The fact that rides like spiderman 3D and Transformers the ride are better than some rollercoasters

July 26, 2015, 8:31 AM

That the WDW monorails reeked of the smell of urine. The NY subways don't smell that bad.

July 26, 2015, 4:42 PM

Way to keep things classy, Pastor.

July 27, 2015, 1:10 PM

TH, Brian's intro talked about restrooms, so Rob kept with the theme.

I am surprised that the major theme parks are so crowded all the time even though the ticket prices have hit $100 per day. Rooms on-site average $200-$300 per night and meals are often $20-$50 per person. And I don't know if this is a positive or negative development.

On the happy side, theme parks and amusement parks are mostly extremely safe and crime-free places to visit compared to everyday life in the real world.

July 28, 2015, 2:27 AM

What time the 3:00 parade is (the answer will shock you).

The backside of water.

Anything the Genie says during the Aladdin musical at DCA.

July 28, 2015, 3:53 AM

I'm going to assume that the 3:00 parade is at 3:00 in the afternoon....

Just how mediocre the spaghetti is at Via Napoli.

July 28, 2015, 4:17 AM

Tyler, there is an article in the archives, and in the site's book, that details that the answer isn't always 3pm. It could be "its not on" or it could be some other time depending on when it passes, or it could be asking what the best time is to stake out a spot, etc.

July 28, 2015, 7:55 AM

I was surprised by the difference between having an express pass and not having an express pass at Universal. My wife and I were able to hit all of the rides and most of the attractions across both parks in Orlando in less than a full day with a pass. We even had time to head back to our hotel and rest up for an hour or two before hitting some rides again before park closing. Without it, it would not be possible to do everything in two full days. What a difference skipping lines makes!

July 28, 2015, 9:32 AM

Express passes, especially the unlimited hotel express passes, change the entire theme park experience. No lines, most I ever waited was maybe 5 minutes and usually it's a straight walk on, takes away all the hassle and stress from the theme parks, and allows for a pure leisurely vacation.

August 17, 2015, 10:53 PM

How long the lines are

August 18, 2015, 7:18 AM

What gives with all the in-park Starbucks?

They're in all 4 WDW parks, both DLR parks, and Universal Studios Florida - at a minimum.

What's so special about Starbucks that gets them special treatment?

August 18, 2015, 8:53 AM

I don't think people remember how awful Disney coffee was before Starbucks. You may not like Starbucks, but it's better than the muck Disney served before.

Starbucks made it into the parks due to its popularity. If Peets Coffee was more popular they would have been in the parks. Starbucks is only special due to market share. Just as McDonalds used to be in the parks due to their popularity.

August 20, 2015, 11:23 AM

25 dollar parking at Great Adventure.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Park tickets

Weekly newsletter

New attraction reviews

News archive