Would you go to Back to the Future Land

Edited: October 17, 2015, 7:26 PM

Would you go to Back to the Future Land
Embedded image permalink

It’s Back to the Future time. As we celebrate the year part 2 takes place, the Goddard Group release concept art of Universal Studios Europe. One of the interesting pieces was an area which was completely theme to the awesome future of Hill Valley 2015 from Back to the Future Part 2.

Via Goddard Group

One of the attraction was a Back to the Future coaster called the “Time Warp”. Other attraction seem to be a restaurant base on Cafe 80s. HoloMax and strangely a Twister attraction likely similar to what was at Universal Orlando. The way the town square is set up, there plenty of photo-op opportunities. I for one think this land could work today. Granted the Back to the Future franchise isn’t as viable as it was in the 80/90s. But consider the popularity the series has to the point of being timeless classics. I like to see it work as retro future land more than Magic Kingdom somewhat questionable Tomorrowland.

If anything, this would make for a great expansion for Universal City Walk. Having a theme Back to the future facade where you can shop and dine brings a bit of kiche that should make guest feel like part of the movies.

CameraImage
IMG_1163

If you been keeping up with theme park rumors. You might have heard of a fanboy concept for a Back to the Future VR roller coaster. In a podcast interview, the creator wanted to proposed the concept to Universal Creative for the Orlando park. Now, no doubt this sounds like a pipe dream. But if you consider the Back to the Future land and original idea of the Time Warp coaster. Than something like this could be a cool idea to have Back to the Future back at Universal parks in different way.

But yeah, unless we get a reboot or sequel to the Back to the Future series. All this is just fan nerd talk. We can only hope Robert Zemeckis will change his mind or if Steven Spielberg can help in taking us Back to the Future again.

Goddard Group Universal Europe Concept art.
https://www.facebook.com/goddardgroup/photos/a.397242949332.173773.237234629332/10153515014709333/?type=3&theater

Coastterinsanity Back to the Future fan coaster concept and interview
http://coasterinsanity.com/?p=215

Replies (16)

October 18, 2015, 1:31 AM

I think having a back to the future land in universal would be a great idea, it could possibly go in the unused space between the simpsons and MIB however the only problem is that it would be heavily geared out towards the older generation who remember back to the future when growing up as many new kids of today may not know what it is. That brings the other issue with rebooting a back to the future film, it could turn out like jurrasic world did with a brilliant movie making loads of money, or it could turn out like indiana jones and the kingdom of the crystal skull. Having such a brilliant trilogy from the back to the future franchise (third film is a bit debatable) but it would be a real shame if they ruin such a good classic franchise by rebooting it, for now 3 films is enough.

October 18, 2015, 10:02 PM

I think a successful Back to the Future park, land, or attraction has to get to the essence of what made the film series so popular, and that was the fantastic opportunity to break the most inviolable rule - time - with a bunch of endearing characters along for the ride.

Ultimately, BTTF was about empowering an audience surrogate - Marty McFly - to break the rules of time and to create an alternate, better reality. A BTTF attraction should empower the audience to feel like they are doing the same. This is why the BTTF ride at Universal ultimately didn't resonate enough to stick around - it put you on a ride with these characters, but didn't create that wonderful sense of fantastic empowerment that the movies did.

If an attraction could do that - whatever the form or placement - it would succeed and endure.

October 22, 2015, 2:19 PM

Is that a B&M floorless coaster? And what is the DeLorian themed one? I went to the site and all I saw was that there was an 88 mph. launch. What is the coaster type?

October 22, 2015, 3:34 PM

Yes I would go to there ... Because I am a Cub fan.

(Whimper)

October 22, 2015, 5:20 PM

@TH Creative
I would feel bad for you except I'm a Philies fan.
(Sob)

October 22, 2015, 10:03 PM

I feel bad for myself because I'm a Dodgers fan. (Cries myself to sleep)

October 23, 2015, 2:48 AM

Cubs win the World Series? I think that's an alternate universe, not alternate timeline.

October 23, 2015, 3:41 AM

@disneyversal
Really? Cry about the Dodgers? You got our two best players!

October 23, 2015, 7:18 AM

As a side note, Back to the Future II was re-released on Wednesday. It made 1.65 million dollars and was the number 1 movie for the day. I think it's fair to say there is still an interest in the franchise. As Robert says, if it's done right, I would be all in with this.

October 23, 2015, 8:02 AM

Most times, the backlot areas of Universal are not filming. They are practically just for the tram ride. I would love for them to turn more of these sets into the theme park. The only hindrance is the cost of turning facades into actual buildings. They might not need to turn all of them into buildings though, but they do need to reinforce the facades to handle the crowds. The War of the Worlds set is rather tired and no one remembers the Tom Cruise movie. The Hooville set of the Grinch movie is iconic, but no one loves the movie. Maybe they should create a whole new kids land out of it with Polar Express.

October 23, 2015, 9:02 AM

I personally would rather see the Hill Valley of 1955. Today many towns look like the Hill Valley of 1985 in the first movie, a shell of it their former glory. The town in 2015 is cool, but I feel it's not something that will hold up because it's already so dated, an 80s idea of what today nigh of been like. It's one thing to see it in a science fiction movie, it's another thing to visit it in person. The first movie shows a town one of a bygone era, similar to what towns of that era really looked like, but those similarities have faded over time. It's like the Main Street USA of half a century later, shortly before shopping centers and suburbs and the interstate turned downtowns into ghost towns. It would like Main Street USA of a later era, one people instantly recognize.

Edited: October 23, 2015, 8:28 PM

Not sure what type of coaster the Time Wrap would have been. For all I know it could have been a Vokama. No doubt somebody on this site has some inside connection that could ask Goddard Group. As for the fanboi BTTF VR coaster. In an podcast interview the guy who design it works for one of the coaster manufacture in mid-west. Maybe Rocky Mountain(I know, they wooden only), but has said he met with Universal Creative that love the idea. If you go to the site and hit interview link you see the podcast interview they did. Here's hopping we be going back. Heard Universal notice the money it made, and they looking at options despite what Zemeckis has said

October 25, 2015, 3:05 PM

When we were in Universal a year before the HPW second land opening, they did have a place on the left before the Old BTTF ride, now the Simpson ride, with the BTTF car and the Train section. There was a guy in Doc Brown costume trying to do a doc brown impression, and doing OK for the most part.

I told him I was glad they finally put the car back on site for folks to see again. He said he was as well and there was a lot of folks asking over the years were the car was after they repurposed to Simpson Ride.

I would have thought with all the interest in BTTF Universal would have done a lead up to BTTF day with a nice promo and an promote the fact the car was back out on display and have more theme characters in costumes as well.

Have a Marty McFly guy, Loriene, and a big crew cut guy like Biff.. it would be a hoot and bring a bunch more through the gate it would seem to me..

Oh Well i was glad the family (two daughters who are now 21, 18) got to ride BTTF ride a couple of months before they shut it down to do Simpson. We had seen all three movies some months prior so they knew the movie. I took a bunch of picture of the stuff in the waiting room but have no idea where they went to..

Edited: October 26, 2015, 10:20 PM

@Jaiden Cohen our team is falling apart. Don Mattingly left, Zachary Greinke might, Yaseil Puig and Hyun Jin Ryu were injured for postseason, we only won one World Series, lost in first round, have a lot of money but don't know how to use it. I can't even wear a Dodgers cap around campus without a snide comment

October 27, 2015, 6:01 PM

I would go, though they got the Cubs wrong :(

October 28, 2015, 12:07 AM

I for one, am interested in the story behind that Casper ride. That's my favorite Universal movie.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Park tickets

Weekly newsletter

New attraction reviews

News archive