Autopia Goes Hybrid at Disneyland Paris

November 5, 2015, 10:53 AM

Disneyland Paris is more than halfway through converting the 85 cars on its Autopia attraction from traditional internal-combustion to hybrid engines.

The project began in 2010 and is expected to be completed soon. Disney said that the change has resulted in a 50% reduction in both fuel used and carbon emissions. So why not go all the way, and make the attraction all electric?

“On Autopia, the child’s dream of driving ‘daddy’s car’ is a reality. The noise of the motor is part of its charm and its success," maintenance manager and project supervisor Christophe Martin explained. "That’s why we didn’t go 100% electric. It would actually have created great autonomy problems with batteries that need to be constantly recharged. Following the changes we made, the combustion engine recharges the batteries all by itself.”

I'm not aware what is being done at the other Autopia/Tomorrowland Speedway attractions with their engines. Anyone with that information care to share?

Replies (4)

November 5, 2015, 5:15 PM

Interesting news. It would be nice for them to have a hybrid stateside. I would figure its a good way to save money

November 5, 2015, 5:54 PM

I want Teslautopia!

November 7, 2015, 11:28 AM

Now that would be the future!

Like I mentioned, if Disney wants to save a few bucks in the long run, they should move towards hybrid or electric. They do not have to close any beloved attractions and most guests would not notice a difference.

November 8, 2015, 8:04 AM

Future World, presented by Elon Musk.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Park tickets

Weekly newsletter

New attraction reviews

News archive