General Contractor and special contractor

November 6, 2015, 12:44 AM

Hi, I want to know about construction contractors.
I think there are general contractors for mega size-theme park development project such as as Avartar Land or Disneyland Shanghai.
I guess major construction(Turner, Fluor etc) companies do these project.
and How about special theme contruction contractors?
Maybe there are small project about renovation or expantion such as Simpsons ride zone in Univeral.
I heard about KHS&S, are there another special theme contruction contractors?
Thank you...

Replies (2)

November 6, 2015, 6:46 AM

A general contractor is typically responsible for site prep, mass fabrication, installation, building, etc... Think of a company that uses excavators, cranes, pours concrete, and puts together buildings. Specialty contractors are exactly what they sound like. Artists, iron fabricators (for roller coasters), technology companies, etc... are all specialty contractors. In a typical attraction build, the specialty contractors usually come in during the second half of a build to work on things beyond the abilities of a general contractor. One of the biggest specialty contractors I know of is Nassal, who does a lot of exterior sculpture and painting along with internal scenery. Nassal did much of the exterior work in WWoHP and do plaster/stucco work for parks all around the world.

Edited: November 6, 2015, 8:33 AM

Our TH Creative has a book on this sort of stuff, I believe.

Also, if you want to meet pretty much every theme park-focused specialty contractor in the world, join IAAPA and go to one of their big Attractions Expos around the world. (We will be at the one in Orlando in two weeks.) You'll find many of them on the show floor.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Park tickets

Weekly newsletter

New attraction reviews

News archive