Walt Disney World vs Universal Orlando?

Edited: November 13, 2015, 9:18 PM

Do you prefer Walt Disney World or Universal Orlando?

For me, it's WDW. Seriously, UO doesn't have enough to do. The two parks are small with not a lot of rides. Everyone raves about Harry Potter, but it wasn't all that. Forbidden Journey was OK, but basically I felt like I was watching a movie, while sitting in a chair that faces upwards and makes sudden movements.
Also, Harry Potter can't compare to Disney's immersive theming. Disney parks transport you to a different world.
Oh, and have you seen the plans for Avatar Land in Animal Kingdom and Star Wars Land in DHS?
Everyone saying Disney is for little kids and kiddie rides and UO is for big kids and thrill rides has not been to both the resorts. Disney even offers more thrill rides, if you do a count. Disney's thrill rides have great thrills too. WDW and UO are both for ALL AGES!
Oh, and the overall experience of WDW just blows UO away.

Replies (30)

November 12, 2015, 3:10 PM

Walt Disney World ALL THE WAY!

November 12, 2015, 3:46 PM

It depends what you want from a park. Thrill seekers prefer UO but families prefer WDW. Both companies pander to their target audience. It's really what you prefer and if you're willing to pay an arm and a leg.

November 12, 2015, 4:00 PM

(Sigh).

November 12, 2015, 4:29 PM

Fun Spot puts Disney and Universal to shame.

November 12, 2015, 4:49 PM

Six Flags La Ronde and Great Escape!

Seriously: It depends on the mood. Its usually Universal though.

November 12, 2015, 5:18 PM

The most over asked question in theme park forums. Sigh indeed...

Edited: November 12, 2015, 5:19 PM

I agree TH. (Sigh)

Another Disney fanboy registers on the site and we get more of the "Isn't Disney awesome!" blather, and a flame war starts.

So, instead of doing a dissection of the usual set of completely erroneous statements that every Disney fanboy seems to like to make, I'm going to step aside and hope that somebody else takes the time to explain to themeparks98 that this is a thinking man's website and that that kind of hogwash doesn't go over well here.

Edited: November 12, 2015, 10:04 PM

What are these places, Walt Disney World and Universal Orlando, of which you speak? Are they nude beaches? Brothels? I need more details before I can make a decision.

November 12, 2015, 5:47 PM

So what´s the point of your discussion, themeparks98 ? Honestly this is a matter of opinion and a very answered topic in other forums. This isn´t sparking an interesting debate.

Edited: November 12, 2015, 7:00 PM

Haven't we been debating this topic for the last decade or so?

November 13, 2015, 6:47 AM

Thrill Rides at Disney- bawhaaaaaaaaa.... Yes the new Seven dwarfs train ride that slightly rocks back and fourth is Thrilling. Bhaaaaaaahahahahaaaaa....

Sure Spider Man, Hulk, Dragon Challenge, Forbidden Journey, Escape from Gringotts all Suck..... They are so boring compared to Space Mountain or Astro-blaster.... Rip Ride Rocket and Mummy are boring... Give me PTOC....

Minions - Heck no - I want Tea Cups......

November 13, 2015, 8:06 AM

I prefer Coke over Pepsi. Whoops, wrong forum...

Edited: November 13, 2015, 8:34 AM

Dude this question is the most asked ever on this site, but since your asking I'll say it all depends on who you are , do you have a family? Kids?, is it just you and a spouse , is it you alone ? We need more details to give you the best opinion possible.

November 13, 2015, 9:24 AM

/thread.

November 13, 2015, 9:32 AM

All of the above.

November 13, 2015, 10:29 AM

My vote for the best parks goes to Disney, but I will say that Universal's parks are better.

Edited: November 13, 2015, 11:09 AM

Ho hum. I put my snooze button on. Wake me when this thread is over..... LOL

November 13, 2015, 12:04 PM

Really?

November 13, 2015, 2:43 PM

Brian Emery says "thrill rides at Disney? Ha!".
I respond: go count all WDW's thrill rides and then UO's. Same amount.

November 13, 2015, 2:44 PM

Okay, okay okay ... Sea World vs. pizza.

November 13, 2015, 2:54 PM

But what pizza? Via Napoli pizza is one thing. Domino's is another.

November 13, 2015, 3:50 PM

Hmm. Who was it who said, "Everyone saying Disney is for little kids and kiddie rides and UO is for big kids and thrill rides has not been to both the parks. Disney even offers more thrill rides, if you do a count."?

Now that same person is saying, "I respond: go count all WDW's thrill rides and then UO's. Same amount."

So which is it, themepark98? More or the same?

Only by a very liberal definition of what constitutes a thrill ride can Disney come close to Universal in the thrill ride category - and that's over four parks as compared to two parks.

Fanboys never learn.

November 13, 2015, 9:15 PM

Tim Hillman:
The same, I don't know why I wrote more, lol. Anyways, what defines a thrill ride for you then?
Lastly, fanboy?

Edited: November 15, 2015, 11:53 AM

you measure quantity over quality I see, so Six Flags MM and Great Adventure are the best it must. The Dark Side of the Disney parks are clouding your mind and eyes I see.

November 13, 2015, 10:39 PM

For pure thrill rides I think you have to look far beyond Disney and Universal. They may be masters of theme, immersion, and story, but thrill parks they are not.

November 14, 2015, 12:44 AM

It's a trap!!!

November 14, 2015, 5:39 AM

disneyversal writes: "My opinion UO>DLR>WDW>USH."

I respond: ABC>123>Do Re Mi ...

November 14, 2015, 7:25 AM

TPI>Likes>All>Parks>So>This>Thread>Should>Be>Removed

Edited: November 14, 2015, 9:51 AM

Ok, themeparks98, I'm going to take a few minutes and try to help you and the other "Disney rocks! Universal sucks!" types out there to get out of the fanboy club and appreciate all theme parks for the fun and pleasure that they give us.

First of all, a fanboy is somebody who is so obsessive about their favorite technology, game, hobby, or interest that they lack the ability to be objective about the object of their obsession, and they can't extoll the virtues of their passion without disparaging the aspects of competing entities. The term originated in the tech community, but has bled over into other genres, including theme parks. Basically they're like the guy who has to brag about how hot his girlfriend is while at the same time telling you that your girl is a dog. Yeah, they come across as biased jerks.

Now when somebody joins the site and then four days later starts a thread about Disney vs Universal, odds are they're a fanboy. People like you have popped up on TPI several times over the years and have gotten repeatedly smacked down for making the silliest statements possible. Here's a few of yours:

"Seriously, UO doesn't have enough to do. The two parks are small with not a lot of rides."
MK - 37 rides and attractions
Epcot - 18 rides and attractions
DHS - 14 rides and attractions
AK - 19 rides and attractions
USF - 23 rides and attractions
IOA - 23 rides and attractions

Yes, the Magic Kingdom is awesome, but the rides and attractions at the UO parks exceed the other DW parks by a wide margin.

"Everyone saying Disney is for little kids and kiddie rides and UO is for big kids and thrill rides has not been to both the resorts. Disney even offers more thrill rides, if you do a count. "

Everyone's definition of a thrill ride differs, but for the sake of argument let's use a height restriction of 40" to define a ride as a thrill ride.
DW - 12 thrill rides
UO - 13 thrill rides

Even after you corrected yourself, you're still wrong, and Universal's thrill rides are concentrated in two parks instead of spread out over four parks.

"Also, Harry Potter can't compare to Disney's immersive theming."

Experts in the field, like this site's owner and theme park enthusiast in chief, Robert Niles, seem to view it differently:
The Wizarding World of Harry Potter - Diagon Alley, reviewed

So, if you want to wax enthusiastic about Disney World, go for it. Most of us on this site feel the same way, and have spent tens of thousands of dollars to enjoy all that Disney has to offer. But, if you want to trash the Universal Orlando resort in the process, you can forget about it because many of us feel that Universal does just as good of a job as Disney in entertaining us and will keep Disney from making every decision based upon a ROI methodology.

November 14, 2015, 8:36 PM

Well said Tim.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Park tickets

Weekly newsletter

New attraction reviews

News archive