Holiday World Announces Wooden Coaster Changes

January 14, 2016, 8:36 PM

Santa Claus, Indiana's Holiday World has announced that it will be making some tweaks to its highly-rated wooden coasters this off-season, including the addition of a new airtime element to The Legend, with the help of Great Coasters International.

Watch the announcement:

Thoughts?

Replies (6)

January 14, 2016, 10:10 PM

Wait, so Legend is just getting some airtime hill improvements? That's cool, but me and a lot of other people were hoping for an inverted drop.

January 14, 2016, 10:38 PM

Having just visited Holiday World this past summer, I can verify that all three wooden classics are definitely in need of some refurb love, especially Legend. While I still enjoyed this intense trifecta of wooden masterpieces, the trio was a bit too rough for my wife, who sat out several rides to avoid long term physical damage!

I hope they do something to allow for the use of the back car on Voyage again, and lessen the almost complete stop of the train at the MCBR right before the triple down tunnel on the trip back to the station. It's still a monsterously great ride, but it's not up to par with the uninhabited beast I rode back in 2008.

Edited: January 15, 2016, 12:02 PM

There were rumors that Holiday World was poised for a big new coaster announcement, and I'm not surprised it ended up being these minor mods to their woodies. We were there in early June, and I thought all of the woodies were running pretty good. I was hoping that they would finally figure out how to get the Timberliner trains onto The Voyage (Dan Koch's last project before his passing). These slight retrackings should be good, but it's not enough if they want to attract people who simply aren't into the bone jarring experience of a GCI woodie. The problem is that with Thunderbird, guests have an immediate comparison in how smooth roller coasters can be, and their wooden coaster lineup will continue lag in popularity as RMC completes more and more refurbs.

January 15, 2016, 9:52 PM

James: You really need to take a side trip to Kennywood when you're in the Cedar Park vicinity. They have three classic wood coasters (Thunderbolt, Rabbit, Racer), none that are real rough rides. Plus a few really terrific iron coasters.

January 15, 2016, 10:11 PM

^So many parks, so little time....

January 16, 2016, 11:21 PM

While many enthusiasts feel differently, I've always been partial to the Legend over the Raven and I'm happy to see the ride receiving some work. GCI seems to be doing a lot more rehab work on other wooden coasters than building their own rides right now, and that's not entirely a bad thing. I'm happy to see that some parks realize that RMC isn't always the answer when it comes to refreshing old wooden coasters.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Park tickets

Weekly newsletter

New attraction reviews

News archive