Where Am I? A New Type of Trivia ChallengeEveryone is welcome to play!
From Jeff ElliottThe rules are simple, find the correct attraction at the specified coordinates and get a point.
Posted November 8, 2011 at 12:52 PM
Feel free to post the answers to the questions below, but it might be a better strategy to click on my profile, then on send a message, and privately send me your answers (if you privately send me your answers, I will post in the thread saying that I got them).
If we go through these too fast I can publish more.....so take a try at all of them. Some of these are easy and some are really hard.
Note 1: There is only one coordinate set that is for a park instead of a specific attraction....hopefully you will know when you get there...
Note 2: Feel free to discuss your strategies on how to answer these questions in the talkback below.
Now on to the coordinates.......
2) 32.756389°N 97.073056°W
3) 51.402623°N, 0.511905°W
4) 37.23187°N 76.64698°W
5) 31.144°N 121.657°E
6) 28.48088°N 81.46756°W
7) 27.907972°S 153.3125°E
8) 35.6334°N 139.8783°E
9) 29.45528°N 98.69609°W
10) 38.121389°N 86.911389°W
11) 48.87059°N 2.77558°E
12) 28.47178°N 81.47388°W
13) 28.42087°N 81.58286°W
14) 33.12756°N 117.31361°W
15) 48.26478°N 7.71997°E
16) 28.03664°N 82.42465°W
17) 32.76683°N 117.22526°W
18) 34.1406°N 118.3567°W
19) 39.86581°N 116.48841°E
20) 35.48864°N 138.78091°E
21) 33.8098°N 117.9213°W
22) 41.483958°N 82.686217°W
23) 52.98656°N 1.89645°W
24) 33.807222°N 117.920833°W
25) 28.373277°N 81.547663°W
Comments in chronological order. Most recent at the bottom. Scroll down to respond.
From Andy Milito2. Texas Giant (Six Flags Over Texas)
Posted November 8, 2011 at 2:31 PM
6. Men in Black: Alien Attack (Universal Studios Orlando)
12. Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey (Islands of Adventure)
13. The Haunted Mansion (Magic Kingdom)
16. SheiKra (Busch Gardens Tampa)
17. Shark Encounter (SeaWorld San Diego)
18. Revenge of the Mummy (Universal Studios Hollywood)
21. Indiana Jones Adventure (Disneyland)
24. Grizzly River Run (Disney California Adventure)
25. Test Track (EPCOT)
That was really fun! I approve of this game.
From David L.Hey, great idea, but most of these are really obvious. Try doing attractions that don't have labels on google maps(about half of them) or do restaurants and shows. The coasters are too obvious as well(Oblivion, Texas Giant, and Top thrill Dragster were big ones). Maybe others will have a harder time figuring out what each one is. I still really like the idea though!
Posted November 8, 2011 at 5:43 PM
From Jeff ElliottAs a test run of the idea, I figured I should stick to the parks and the rides that we know and talk about on these discussion boards.....and you are right, a little more than half of them were pretty easy to figure out and/or labeled on the map. But this is going to be really easy to ratchet the difficulty up.....I just didn't want to discourage anyone right off the bat.
Posted November 8, 2011 at 7:41 PM
We could also do some seriously difficult ones like: "B&M Coasters always scramble my brain. Name the coaster that did this to me, my GPS says that I am here (coordinates somewhere randomly picked in the middle of Ohio)".
I do like your idea about restaurants and shops...
Lots to think about......
From James KoehlI thought David L. was a bit off when he inferred that it was too easy. While the info was not hard to find, it took time and work to find it. I do like the idea of other attractions. As it was, I often had to go to the park website to identify the exact attraction. Here goes:
Posted November 9, 2011 at 2:52 AM
1. Jurrasic Park at Universal Studios Singapore
2. Texas Giant at Six Flags over Texas
3. Saw at Thorpe Park, U.K.
4. Curse of DarKastle at Busch Gardens Williamsburg
5. Disneyland Shanghai future location
6. Men in Black Alien Attack at USF
7. Superman Escape at Movie World, Australia
8. Star Tours at Tokyo Disneyland
9. Steel Eel at Sea World San Antonio
10. Wildebeest at Holiday World
11. Big Thunder Mountain at Disneyland Paris
12. Wizarding World of Harry Potter at IOA
13. Haunted Mansion at Magic Kingdom, WDW
14. Volvo Driving School at Legoland California
15. Euromir coaster at Europapark
16. Shiekra at Busch Gardens Tampa
17. Shark Encounter at Seaworld San Diego
18. Revenge of the Mummy at Universal Studios Hollywood
19. Mount Adventure at Shenzhen Happy Vally, Guangdong, China
20. Fujiyama coaster at Fujikyu Highland park, Japan
21. Indiana Jones Adventure, Disneyland
22. Top Thrill Dragster, Cedar Point
23. Oblivion, Alton Towers, U.K.
24. Grizzly River Run, Disney California Adventure
25. Test Track, Epcot
From Jeff ElliottGood Job Andy!
Posted November 9, 2011 at 8:31 AM
You correctly identified all of the ones you tried!
You only missed 10, 12, 19, 20.
10 is hard because despite the fact that the attraction in question is over 5 years old, Google doesn't have an updated map showing it.
12, you are in the right neighborhood, but we are looking for an attraction, not a land.
19, we could probably get into a debate about what the translated name of the attraction is, but I know it as one of the most beautifully themed roller coasters in the world.
20, the red track is a clue. Fujiyama has white track.
From steve leePshaw. These games are way more fun if you don't use a computer to find the answer.
Posted November 9, 2011 at 11:46 AM
From James KoehlSorry, but I thought I was sending my answers directly to Jeff! It was 5 a.m. this morning- I guess I need another cup of coffee before I touch the keyboard. Sorry if I spoiled it for anyone/everyone.
Posted November 9, 2011 at 6:16 PM
OK, #12 is Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey at IOA
I think that #10 is The Voyage coaster, but I can't seem to get the Google pic and the website map to match up.
The other two I have no idea.
Great challenge! Do it again, and I promise to be more careful next time I post an answer.
From Jeff ElliottI am going to do a new challenge next Tuesday. You might want to mark this one on your calendar and beat James to the answers....
Posted November 11, 2011 at 10:41 AM
.....I would have posted new questions already, but I have been sick as a dog the last couple of days.....
From Alan Hiscutt10: Paul Reveres Midnight ride @ Holiday world/Splashin Safari? Just thrwoing it out there....
Posted November 12, 2011 at 2:43 AM
From Jeff ElliottJames was able to come up with 2 of the 4 that he missed. 10 is The Voyage at Holiday World and 12 is Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey at IOA.
Posted November 14, 2011 at 9:26 AM
Well, here are the two answers that we couldn’t come up with.
20. Eejanaika (Fuji-Q Highland). This roller coaster is unique in that it is the only other truly 4th dimensional roller coaster (like X2 at Magic Mountain) on the planet, although another one is being built in China right now.
More coordinates tomorrow………
Here is the complete key to the answers:
1) 1.25323°N 103.82398°E - Jurassic Park River Ride (USS)
2) 32.756389°N 97.073056°W - New Texas Giant (SFOT)
3) 51.402623°N, 0.511905°W - Saw - The Ride (Thorpe)
4) 37.23187°N 76.64698°W - Curse of DarKastle (BGW)
5) 31.144°N 121.657°E - Shanghai Disney Resort
6) 28.48088°N 81.46756°W - Men In Black (USF)
7) 27.907972°S 153.3125°E - Superman Escape (WB Movie World Austrialia)
8) 35.6334°N 139.8783°E - Star Tours (Disneyland Tokyo)
9) 29.45528°N 98.69609°W - Steel Eel (SWoT)
10) 38.121389°N 86.911389°W - The Voyage (Holiday World)
11) 48.87059°N 2.77558°E - Big Thunder Mountain (DLP)
12) 28.47178°N 81.47388°W - Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey (IOA)
13) 28.42087°N 81.58286°W - Haunted Mansion (DMK)
14) 33.12756°N 117.31361°W - Volvo Driving School (LC)
15) 48.26478°N 7.71997°E - Euro-Mir (Europa Park)
16) 28.03664°N 82.42465°W - Shreikra (BGT)
17) 32.76683°N 117.22526°W - Shark Encounter (SWC)
18) 34.1406°N 118.3567°W - Revenge of the Mummy (USH)
19) 39.86581°N 116.48841°E - Crystal Wings (Happy Valley Beijing)
20) 35.48864°N 138.78091°E - Eejanaika (Fuji-Q Highland)
21) 33.8098°N 117.9213°W - Indiana Jones (Disneyland)
22) 41.483958°N 82.686217°W - Top Thrill Dragster (Cedar Point)
23) 52.98656°N 1.89645°W - Oblivion (Alton Towers)
24) 33.807222°N 117.920833°W - Grizzly River Run (DCA)
25) 28.373277°N 81.547663°W - Test Track (Epcot)
From Andy MilitoThat number 19 is beautiful!
Posted November 14, 2011 at 6:16 PM
From James KoehlJeff, I promise not to post my answers on the thread this time!
Posted November 14, 2011 at 9:50 PM
From Jeff ElliottNew Coordinates have been posted, Click here to go to the new round!
Posted November 15, 2011 at 2:13 PM
This discussion has been archived, and is not accepting additional responses.
Theme Park Insider Guidebooks
Top U.S. Theme Parks
Walt Disney World's Magic Kingdom
Other Top International Parks
Readers' Top Themed Rides
Top Roller Coasters
Top Theme Park Shows
Features, News and Advice
2013 Blog PostsJan. Feb. Mar. Apr. May Jun. Jul. Aug. Sep. Oct. Nov. Dec.
2012 Blog PostsJan. Feb. Mar. Apr. May Jun. Jul. Aug. Sep. Oct. Nov. Dec.
2011 Blog PostsJan. Feb. Mar. Apr. May Jun. Jul. Aug. Sep. Oct. Nov. Dec.
2010 Blog PostsJan. Feb. Mar. Apr. May Jun. Jul. Aug. Sep. Oct. Nov. Dec.
2009 Blog PostsJan. Feb. Mar. Apr. May Jun. Jul. Aug. Sep. Oct. Nov. Dec.
2008 Blog PostsJan. Feb. Mar. Apr. May Jun. Jul. Aug. Sep. Oct. Nov. Dec.
2007 Blog PostsJan. Feb. Mar. Apr. May Jun. Jul. Aug. Sep. Oct. Nov. Dec.
2006 Blog PostsJan. Feb. Mar. Apr. May Jun. Jul. Aug. Sep. Oct. Nov. Dec.
2005 Blog PostsDec.
2004-2005Staff column archive