E.T. CLOSING?

April 20, 2016, 9:31 AM

I saw a tweet and a FB post from Universal saying ET was closing 4/24. I showed my wife as that is one of her favorites... several days later I went back to confirm the date so we didn't miss the closing like we had with BTTF, Jaws, etc. And it is gone, no mention of it anywhere. Did anyone else see this? And is there any other info?

Replies (12)

April 20, 2016, 10:02 AM

I wouldn't be surprised. They didn't update or rehab the ride in years.

Edited: April 20, 2016, 2:22 PM

I follow Universal Orlando on Facebook and Twitter (and am on its media email list), and have seen no such announcement. Could this be a refurbishment issue?

April 20, 2016, 10:59 PM

Idk, it said, don't miss your last chance to phone home, ET closes on April 24th, I saw it on both FB and Twitter and now..... GONE. Maybe it was posted by mistake

April 21, 2016, 1:05 PM

If the E.T ride closes to make way for Nintendoland then I am all in for it!

April 23, 2016, 3:43 PM

I am pretty sure Universal got into hot water getting rid of the version in California. It is a pretty solid dark ride that appeals to everybody..I would argue the most "Disney Classic" attraction at Universal.

April 25, 2016, 2:05 AM

I guess we'll find out today, huh? Anyone in Orlando who can swing by and let us know if it's still in operation? Furthermore, if you can, ask a Team Member if they know anything about that, as I'm sure they'd have been given a head's up that they could be reassigned.

Edited: April 25, 2016, 12:33 PM

There were some rumors a couple of weeks ago that Universal Creative was looking at expanding the scope of the Nintendo area and that might extend to ET. But that's just in very early discussion stages and the Nintendo area, rides & location, is still in flux according to insiders...Also, word is running rampant that some TM's supervisors have rode Kong and they're saying it's the best attraction in the entire Universal Orlando resort. Looking big time like soft opening for Kong will be sometime within the next two weeks,maybe even by this Friday, barring any unforeseen technical difficulties.

April 25, 2016, 8:02 AM

according to my Universal Orlando app on my phone, ET currently has a 5 minute wait, so still open for business.

April 25, 2016, 8:39 AM

@Rob, I hope you are right about Kong. We will be there first of June and would love to see the big beastie.

April 25, 2016, 9:16 AM

Jon: Looks pretty good for your dates, barring any unforeseen problems. I'll be there myself from May 7-17th. They're saying there's one scene that will give you nightmares.

Edited: April 25, 2016, 12:31 PM

**********Spoiler********** on Kong; On Inside Universal forums

Edited: April 27, 2016, 7:23 AM

Keep ET, close fievals playland. Seriously why is that area still even there?

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Park tickets

Weekly newsletter

New attraction reviews

News archive