Walt Disney World attendance drops

May 11, 2016, 8:37 AM

The price increases had its intended effect. Or is this a lagging indicator of where the economy is going.

http://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/blog/2016/05/walt-disney-world-attendance-drops-but-guest.html

"The theme park giant reported $3.92 billion in revenue for the second quarter ending April 2, a 4 percent increase from $3.76 billion reported the same time last year. Revenue for the first six months of the fiscal year was up 7 percent to $8.2 billion from $7.67 billion reported the first six months of Disney's 2015 fiscal year."

"Attendance at our domestic theme parks was relatively flat, as an increase at Disneyland Resort was offset by a modest decrease at Walt Disney World Resort," said the company's release.

Replies (22)

May 11, 2016, 9:15 AM

It's probably because people are finally realizing that Disney is slow when it comes to new attractions, plus nostalgia can only go so far.

Just my personal opinion

May 11, 2016, 11:37 AM

A strong US dollar holding down international visitors in general, a Brazilian economy that's crap and therefore discouraging travel from Orlando's biggest foreign market, and a lack of new attractions in the past 12 months all make a lousy formula for WDW and the rest of the Orlando theme parks.

Edited: May 11, 2016, 12:09 PM

They are all at Universal... hahahahahaa- Sorry I had to..

Disney gets so damn busy also... Universal in Orlando has some great options like the Buy 2 days get 3rd day free...

Get FastPass with a hotel stay and early entry to HP.

But Disney movies are doing great lately .

I believe the Theme Park Attendance comes out real soon...
You will get a better look at that time.

May 11, 2016, 12:09 PM

Personally, as much as I love the nostalgia of a Magic Kingdom visit, I just have no desire to visit the Disney parks until Star Wars Land opens. My wife and I recently bought a Universal season pass in anticipation of Kong and the re-opening of the Hulk, and I see no reason to not renew when its up for renewal next May in anticipation of Fast and the Furious and Jimmy Fallon. I think maybe once Disney has Avatar Land open and everything running at Epcot, I might consider grabbing a 3 or 4 day Florida resident pass and visiting the Disney parks again, but as it stands right now, with Hollywood Studios not even a 1/2 day park and Avatar land still a year out, I'll stick with Universal, which I think simply gives you more bang for your buck when you consider the parks coupled with onsite resorts that are less expensive than Disney and also give you more (the fast passes are fantastic perk)

May 11, 2016, 12:23 PM

Ohhhhhh!!!!!! Time for them to actually do something.

That's right. They have to do something!!!!

Edited: May 11, 2016, 1:01 PM

Where's THC?

I hope to arrive at Disney World in 2018 and I hope Avatar is open by then. Maybe slim chance Toy Story Land will be open, but I'm expecting 2019 at the earliest. Disney takes way too long to open new attractions.

Star Wars Land won't open until 2021 or 2022 at the earliest at Disney Hollywood Studios. They haven't finishing clearing the land and re-routing the entry roadways and offramp. The best bet is see Star Wars Land in Disneyland at Anaheim in 2019 or 2020.

Edited: May 11, 2016, 4:46 PM

There's a ton of construction going on right now at every WDW park (and shopping area) except for the Magic Kingdom. Why wouldn't we expect people to be putting off trips until next year or the year after? There are plenty of cool, new attractions (Valravn, Lightning Rod, Mako, Cobra's Curse, Monster, Storm Chaser, Kong, Shanghai Disneyland, Harry Potter Hollywood, various VR coasters, etc.) opening elsewhere this year to keep theme park fans happy while construction cranes are the featured decoration at WDW.

May 12, 2016, 7:21 AM

Anon, you seen to be very pessimistic about Disney’s ability to conclude theirs new attractions!

Wasn`t you that doubted that Shanghai Disneyland would be ready on time? Well, they opened ahead of time…

Now that all those imaginers are back, I believe that the new attractions will be done sooner!

Regarding the small drop in attendance, it means that the parks were slightly less crowded, but profits were up, so I don`t think that people in Disney`s Headquarters are very concerned.

Edited: May 12, 2016, 8:28 AM

"Wasn`t you that doubted that Shanghai Disneyland would be ready on time?"

I don't recall saying anything about it. They aren't on-time. The project was already delayed from a 2015 opening date. So you're wrong on the record. This is worse than you being a liar. I knew they delayed it a long time ago.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/shanghai-disneyland-opening-pushed-to-first-half-of-2016-1422924412

"Walt Disney Co. ’s $5.5 billion theme park in Shanghai, previously set to open by the end of this year, will instead open in the first half of 2016, people close to the project said, marking the latest bump in a very long road for the media giant."

---
As for my pessimism on Disney finishing the new projects, this is the reality, you don't know when they will finish so you can only plan your vacation as further out as possible.

May 12, 2016, 1:46 PM

During a conference call with reporters Robert Iger raised a saliant point. “Before you ask me a question, I think it’s really important with this business not to look at it as a quarterly business. Because we’re not only continuing to support the 11 billion-plus franchises that we have as a company, but we continue to create intellectual property that is leverageable across our consumer products businesses. It’s a kind of business that I think is very difficult to measure in terms of the bottom line success on a quarterly basis. We just don’t run it that way.”

Edited: May 12, 2016, 2:22 PM

Anon writes: "As for my pessimism on Disney finishing the new projects, this is the reality, you don't know when they will finish so you can only plan your vacation as further out as possible."

I respond: Or you could just book after the attraction opens. Whatever.

Edited: May 12, 2016, 2:28 PM

Expect DHS SWL in mid-2019.

May 12, 2016, 2:32 PM

Posting while sitting at Jock's Hangar Bar waiting for Anthony Murphy

May 12, 2016, 2:51 PM

"Or you could just book after the attraction opens. Whatever."

Yeah, whatever, it really doesn't matter for life goes on. Avatar might just be enough of incentive to visit in 2018.

I can always visit Star Wars Land in California where I live.

Iger raised a good issue. Don't look at this quarter because it'll be better next quarter or maybe not. In the meantime, your Disney stock lost $4 per share.

Edited: May 12, 2016, 3:57 PM

^That's okay, I bought my shares at $32 so it will have to fall a long way before I start crying. Closed at over a hundred again today....

May 12, 2016, 4:54 PM

Rao for the WIN!

May 12, 2016, 8:21 PM

Don't get too excited, TH, I only have ten shares! Buy, hey, it's enough money to fund a couple rounds of Dole Whip Floats for my close, personal...uh...acquaintances on TPI!

May 13, 2016, 4:42 AM

I bought my shares a while ago. I was thinking of selling some and investing in Six Flags.

Edited: May 13, 2016, 7:48 AM

"It’s a kind of business that I think is very difficult to measure in terms of the bottom line success on a quarterly basis."

Straight out of the CEO handbook when your company doesn't meet analyst expectations. I agree that this is probably just a minor blip on the radar, but it's certainly worth watching in future quarters to see if what appears to be a single anomaly becomes a trend.

May 13, 2016, 9:38 AM

When I was younger, my god parents used to buy me shares for McDonalds, Nike, and Disney. At that age I was not blown away by the few dollars worth of dividends I was receiving. Eventually sold them cause I told my dad to when I was in my teens. Kind of disappointed that he listened to me, now I am in the securities industry and understand it more compared to my 9 year old self. Wish I would've never sold.

Edited: May 14, 2016, 5:29 AM

I prefer Burger King, Under Armour, and Comcast. Because I'm a contrarian like that. :p

May 14, 2016, 11:31 AM

The Contrarians were led by King Joffrey, right?

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Park tickets

Weekly newsletter

New attraction reviews

News archive