New Rumor Great Movie Ride Sponsorship Deal Dead

Edited: August 2, 2016, 2:57 PM

Great Movie Ride Sponsorship Deal is dead. Disney will not allow Turner to renew so last year is 2018. They signed a 3 year contract contrary to my assumption that it was a 10 year contract. Disney will replace ride with something new. This news goes against the idea that declining ride sponsonships are due to companies or government losing interest. Sometimes, Disney makes that decision as well. So is Disney the reason the sponsorship model is dead in Epcot?

A confirmed rumor is the new parking structure across the way from Disneyland is confirmed along with the new bridge so the Carousel Hotel will soon be demolished. Guests with reservations in late October 2016 will be relocated to other hotels.

Replies (14)

August 2, 2016, 3:48 PM

Disney no longer has any interest in promoting other studios' franchises (Avatar excepted, of course.) So keeping GMR really didn't make sense, given Disney's current focus on franchise building. Which is why I'm buying into the rumors that the ride will be gone in current form after 2018.

August 2, 2016, 4:20 PM

Indeed, Disney has expanded a lot since then. It was when that ride was created a safe "family entertainment, Rated G" brand. Now with Star Wars and Marvel getting equal billing to their traditional base and no longer hiding products for older ages behind Touchstone, it would make sense.

August 2, 2016, 5:38 PM

SO would they just replace the ride with all Disney movies/properties?

August 2, 2016, 7:07 PM

What will be left at DHS after GMR closes? What will replace it? Will ToT survive as The Twilight Zone? This park is being completely erased. "The Hollywood that never was" will soon never be.

August 2, 2016, 7:23 PM

Well worded, Keith. I don't think I've ever seen a park so totally change its theme(s) as much as Disney/MGM/Hollywood/(this space for rent)Studios.

Edited: August 3, 2016, 6:03 AM

Maybe move the China pavilion from EPCOT to DHS, since they already have the Chinese Theatre facade - finally utilize Mulan, which is being made into a live action film and will be back in viewers' minds.

Maybe turn it into a Brazil pavilion, complete with a RIO attraction. Oh...Rio was a Dreamworks movie. Maybe turn it into a Russia pavilion, complete with an Anastasia attraction. Oh...Anastasia was Don Bluth. Or turn it into a Macau pavilion and let the adults do some REAL gambling! Probably lose money slower in Disney's MGM Grand than at Disney's MGM Studios.

Anyway, howabout that? Move China to DHS and add a new country (or fake country that sort of reminds us of a real country) at World Showcase?

I always heard Japan and China didn't like each other, anyway, so let's move them even farther apart.

August 3, 2016, 6:29 AM

Gabriel: You don't move pavilions. You demolish them and create new ones. The Chinese Theater is only a facade. There's not enough land to recreate a Chinese pavilion. It's just one attraction.

They don't need to change the Chinese Theater into anything about the Chinese. The real one in Hollywood is actually owned by the Chinese now, but it continues to show Hollywood movies. Disney can change it to a Disney IP attraction. There's enough space to create an omnimover type ride similar to the Little Mermaid. Or it can import Mystic Manor and keep the ending featuring the Monkey King that is Chinese folklore.

August 3, 2016, 8:23 AM

Oh Anon, I wasn't being serious! Lol. I felt like my post had enough humor in it to not be taken too seriously. Alas, I forgot the "I kid, I kid" at the end. :P

Edited: August 3, 2016, 9:48 AM

The Great Movie Ride could be turned into a Great Mickey Ride as rumored at WDWNT. Not a bad replacement, but surely it has be better than what they did for California Adventure's Monster Inc ride (not so great). Yes, they are suggesting it can go to Anaheim too.

It will be a trackless ride so there's a number of possibilities. Will it be screen based like Ratatouille or animatronic like the Tokyo's Pooh ride, a little of both like Mystic Manor? Also if going into California Adventure, will it be adjacent to Monsters Inc or replace it. The Hollywood Backlot area has the warehouse that's currently hosting the Frozen Musical upcharge event. They also have a never used dining facility. That's a lot of potential square footage, but putting in a Great Mickey Ride will impact the Marvel Land, forcing them into the south part of the park and maybe into Bug's Land.

August 3, 2016, 9:04 PM

Where is Anon getting this information?

This seems incredibly far fetched.

Edited: August 4, 2016, 7:58 AM

Here's the rumor. I already mentioned it previously.

"While details are scarce at this point, rumors indicate the ride would be trackless and is also being developed to go somewhere at the Disneyland Resort simultaneously."

http://wdwnt.com/blog/2016/08/rumor-the-great-mickey-ride-replacing-movie-ride-at-disneys-hollywood-studios/

Guardians going into Tower of Terror was farfetched too. Give it a year or more before Disney confirms it. My hunch is Disney will decide when Star Wars nears completion. This might be the new Disney decade after the new additions.

August 4, 2016, 11:41 PM

Installing this in Florida makes a lot of sense as I've heard Disney wants to purge any licensed IP that isn't generating profit and I'm guessing they make little to no money off the various films represented in the Great Movie Ride. I haven't heard anything about the project coming to California, but there has to be a reason DCA isn't losing Hollywood Land completely for Marvel. If the ride happens, I could see the entrance being placed next to Disney Junior, with the ride building taking over A Bug's Land. I highly doubt it will be near Monsters, Inc. as that whole area is becoming Marvel Land.

August 10, 2016, 5:34 PM

Until Disney can get Universal off of the Marvel contract, they can't do anything with the Marvel properties. The big question has always been what is the exact wording there? Just the Avengers and Xmen characters? Does this include Big Hero 6 and Guardians of the Galaxy? Does it only include specific parks? What if the name of the park changed as well as most of the park? What about a 5th park?

It would seem to me that since Pixar and Star Wars are taking over the left side of the park, then it would make much more sense if there was a Great PIXAR Ride instead of Great Mickey Ride. Either that or they redo the facade to Paris and drop the Ratatouille ride in there.

I'm thinking everything at the park that is not a Disney franchise is soon to be on the chopping block...Aerosmith, Twilight Zone, etc. Disney owns too many characters/stories/movies/franchises to put up with paying for someone else's work.

I consider everything on the right side of the park to be a place holder waiting for phase 2....and it would be a perfect spot for Marvel...including the GotG overlay on the Tower...plus plenty of room to build out further...and killing Fantasmic in favor of a Marvel show....

...And as one of the under-performing parks (and the one that is not officially a zoo) it needs quite a lot of help to get it up to where the suits want it.

Edited: August 11, 2016, 3:20 PM

I think the Universal-Marvel contract is a weird beast and its bound to cause conflict if Disney attempts to install Marvel east of the Mississippi. The contract says Universal can use Marvel characters and the characters are subject to expansion or shrinkage. The characters that it has permission to use is exclusive to Universal. The loophole is it doesn't exclude the right for Marvel to use its remaining characters in its own theme parks, which if it was true, Universal would have insisted on this restriction. So if Disney exploits this loophole for Guardians of the Galaxy at WDW, Universal can claim breach of contract, BUT not everyone agrees, of course, because some say Disney should be able to use the remaining Marvel characters. The licensing agreement makes it very plain that the Marvel name is not to be used by Universal and Marvel itself can use its name for stores 60 miles away from Universal theme parks. So even if Disney wants to exploit the loophole, the 60 miles boundary still applies "in the spirit" of the agreement. That's why the Disney Springs Superheroes store is named this way to avoid a contractual breach.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Park tickets

Weekly newsletter

New attraction reviews

News archive