Is Hyperspace mountain staying like that forever?!

October 23, 2016, 9:58 AM

I love Space Mountain so much but then they turned it into the Hyperspace Mountain. I have heard that they are making a Starwars Land and are keeping the Hyperspace Mountain. I really hope they don't. But that's my opinion. Is this true or false?

Replies (7)

October 23, 2016, 11:40 AM

False. It has already transitioned to Ghost Galaxy for its typical Halloween run.

October 23, 2016, 1:32 PM

I haven't seen any definitive information one way or the other, but the most recent thing I've heard is that Disney wants to keep Hyperspace Mountain as a seasonal attraction at least until Star Wars Land opens. The ride is Ghost Galaxy now and Hyperspace Mountain is returning afterward, so my guess is we'll probably see something like the following for the next few years...

November to March: Hyperspace Mountain
April to August: Space Mountain
September to October: Ghost Galaxy

In my opinion, I don't care what Disney decides to do, but if there are no plans to return regular Space Mountain by summer 2017 it is fair to consider Hyperspace Mountain an official replacement rather than a seasonal overlay and judge it accordingly.

October 23, 2016, 7:22 PM

Or... Disney can turn Space Mountain into a VR coaster and let each rider pick the overlay s/he wants.

FWIW, I was kidding when I started typing this comment, but I talked myself into it by the time I finished the sentence.

I might need help.

October 24, 2016, 4:00 PM

AJ's timetable seems like it could be the most likely.

With the new set of films & spinoffs, (& their opening dates most likely during Christmas time), I think we will be seeing theHyperspace continue, like Galaxy overlay, for the the foreseeable future.

October 25, 2016, 6:59 AM

This is great news I mean, space mountain has ALOT of history! From 1970 something to 2016 it's amazing! My heart would break if I found out that happened. Like many other rides with a lot of history.

October 27, 2016, 7:10 AM

I really like the idea of a VR Space Mountain, Robert. This is assuming you are not required to use a headset, and therefore the non-VR version is "regulat" Space Mountain. That'd work for me!

October 27, 2016, 3:36 PM

While putting VR on Space Mountain would be a total failure, I do think Disney could design an extremely successful VR coaster for a future project. Picture a Star Wars coaster where every day the Resistance is engaged in a battle on a different planet, or an Avengers coaster where you join a random Avenger to defeat an enemy. Not only would the re-ride value of such an attraction be extremely high, but with a station designed to load and unload four or more trains at once it would negate most of the capacity issues that plague current VR coaster installations.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Park tickets

Weekly newsletter

New attraction reviews

News archive