Disney / Reedy Creek Continue Investing Millions in Central Florida

December 1, 2016, 1:04 PM

Continued investment (measured in the hundreds of millions) in civil projects at the Magic Kingdom, Flamingo Way and Disney Springs would seem to be an indication of future retail, dining, resort, attraction and residential expansion.

The Orlando Sentinel (11/27/16): "Fender benders with buses, traffic snarls at the Magic Kingdom parking entrance, and overall growth are fueling transportation projects throughout Walt Disney World. The resort is making several improvements over the next few years to move vehicles more efficiently.

"There will be a vote next month on approving the issuance of $80 million in bonds for a third Disney Springs parking garage. Already, $350 million has been approved for projects scheduled for completion by 2018. Those include a 2-mile Western Way extension, a bridge taking hotel traffic over the Magic Kingdom's toll plaza, and a bypass providing better access to Floridian Way.

"Reedy Creek, the Disney-controlled taxing district, is overseeing the projects."

Replies (6)

December 1, 2016, 1:05 PM

The article continues: "... the Flamingo Crossings commercial development at Disney World's western edge has opened its first hotels. Disney does not operate those. Walt Disney Co. Chief Executive Officer Bob Iger, however, recently told analysts 'we believe that it would be smart for us to build more hotels out' here."

December 2, 2016, 3:19 PM

I can't get excited about anything transportation-related that's not a new monorail line.
I know it'll probably never happen, but if it encourages people to drive more, or doesn't reduce the bus fleet, it doesn't get me up in the morning.

Glad to see you back, THC. Isn't THC the active ingredient in marijuana?

Edited: December 2, 2016, 6:05 PM

It might not get you up in the morning, but if it gets us back to our hotels to sleep faster at night, then I'm all for it.

December 3, 2016, 8:14 PM

It is a testament to Disney that the company is willing to invest millions in the name of convenience .... Even though it does not directly generate profits.

Edited: December 5, 2016, 12:15 PM

This leads me to think that Disney is going to wait until 48 hours after Universal announces their two new parks to drop what they are actually planning out in the Flamingo Crossing. I'm thinking a new theme park with Disney villains and Marvel for starters. But Disney has also been allocating fat coins to Hong Kong and now Epcot....but I would bet that Flamingo Crossing is getting their own park...it is just going to take until 2025 before we get it opened.

December 5, 2016, 4:59 PM

This discussion of adding "gates" ... These endeavors must be regarded as multi-billion dollar propositions. Where does that money come from?

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Park tickets

Weekly newsletter

New attraction reviews

News archive