Disney becomes jersey sponsor for the NBA Orlando Magic

June 20, 2017, 11:26 AM

The Walt Disney World Resort announced today that Disney will become the jersey sponsor for the NBA's Orlando Magic, starting next season.

Orlando Magic Disney jersey
Photo courtesy Disney

The NBA is starting a three-year trial program to allow small corporate logos on team jerseys. The WNBA has permitted sponsor logos for several years, but commercial logos haven't otherwise been present on major pro team sports jerseys in the United States, other than logos for the uniform manufacturers themselves.

Let's pause for a moment while readers outside the United States either laugh or roll their eyes. In soccer leagues around the world, sponsor logos long ago took over kits, relegating club shields to the tiny space on one side of the chest that Disney's logo will occupy on the Magic's jersey.

No word on how much Disney is paying for the jersey placement, which is part of a broader sponsorship deal with the club. And don't forget that Disney-owned ABC and ESPN own broadcast rights to the entire league through 2025.

Replies (3)

June 20, 2017, 11:38 AM

This should Say Universal... hahahah

It actually looks quite nice.. I always like the 'D' in the Disney name - very stylist.

June 20, 2017, 1:23 PM

I guess it's better than other NBA sponsorships that have been announced (Goodyear/Cavs, Stubhub/Sixers, and Infor/Nets). Let's not forget that Disney has been linked to the Magic since they first came into the league because of their name, as well the company having prior ownership stake in other sports teams like The Mighty Ducks of Anaheim and the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim.

What the NBA is doing right now is just breaking the seal on a huge stream of untapped revenue for American sports teams. Between this and the NHL putting a franchise in Las Vegas, what was once considered unthinkable or even taboo just 10 years ago is now reality. Another aspect of the NBA jersey deal is that next season will be the first year in NBA history that the maker of the jersey (Nike) will be allowed to put their logo on standard game kits. Adidas, who was the previous provider, could only put their logo on warm-ups, undergarments, shoes, and fan gear. When Adidas lost the NBA contract, they bought rights to outfit NHL teams, pushing Reebok out of the jersey business for the first time in nearly 30 years.

June 20, 2017, 7:14 PM

Looks great!

Almost makes me want to root for the Magic. Then, I remember that they're owned by the DeVos family. Nice logo, but I can't get behind the Orlando Magic.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Park tickets

Weekly newsletter

New attraction reviews

News archive