The Ten Commandments for Theme Park Operators

January 24, 2018, 12:24 AM

Having worked at Busch Gardens Tampa for the past Summer and Winter seasons, I decided to come up with a list of what should be considered the Ten Commandments for Theme Park Operators. Sure, Martin Sklar had already written a list himself, but those commandments have more to do with park design and guest service; this list has more to do with running the park from the standpoint of a company.

1. Unless it fits with the theming of the area, thou shalt not play pop music in a themed environment.
2. Thou shalt only display Christmas decor or play Christmas music from the Monday before Thanksgiving through New Year's Eve.
3. Thou shalt not permanently close an attraction without prior warning.
4. Thou shalt also give Guests ample notice of temporary scheduled closures/refurbishments.
5. Thou shalt not let standards of safety, service, or cleanliness slip under any circumstances.
6. Thou shalt continue to evolve and innovate throughout the years.
7. Thou shalt be open to ideas from Guests and Employees.
8. Thou shalt treat thy Employees like family.
9. Thou shalt not cave to a small minority of the public who may disagree with thy business practices.
10. Thou shalt thoroughly train thy Employees to create positive experiences with thy Guests.

Were there any Commandments I may have missed? Which parks or companies follow these commandments well, and who are the biggest sinners?

Replies (2)

January 24, 2018, 7:17 PM

You didn't miss any if you want 10. ''Tis a good list. I cannot argue with any. My list might have items such as: You shall always run plenty of cars/trains/boats even if the census is down to make wait times as low as possible; All decisions concerning park operations should start with guest enjoyment first; If you use fingerprint scanners on entry, make sure they work; and finally, if you have a wonderful, fun, scary attraction with an alien in the center that escapes, never, under any circumstances, replace it with a chili dog burping two-foot tall blue thing.

January 26, 2018, 11:29 AM

I took a pass at this last summer:

Introducing Robert's rules of theme park operations

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Park tickets

Weekly newsletter

New attraction reviews

News archive