Okay, do we need to do another tournament?

March 14, 2020, 1:33 PM

FWIW, I am not planning to take the rest of the month off while the parks around the world are closed. I am planning a full slate of articles and entertainment for everyone while the parks are shut down, so your continued readership during this time is GREATLY appreciated!

Now thinking about my publishing schedule here, I must confess that I was not planning to do another tournament this month. We were early on the bandwagon of playing off the NCAA college basketball tournament with a single-elimination reader-vote best attraction "tournament" of our own. But in recent years, I have felt that the gimmick was played out, so I have organized them infrequently and was ready to retire the concept entirely.

But this year, with the real NCAA tournaments canceled, all sports around the world put on hiatus, and the parks closed, I am reconsidering that decision. So my question to you is... how should I do a tournament on the site this time?

Should it be the best attractions? The best parks? The best... something else? Should the tournament be limited strictly to theme parks or could it include other park-related destinations and concepts?

I want a concept that people can get at least a little bit excited about and that will bring readers back to the site on a daily basis. Suggestions welcomed!

Replies (14)

Edited: March 15, 2020, 7:10 AM

I think so Robert. I dare say we're not likely to get a stream of news for a while now everything is "101", so anything to keep eyeballs coming back to the site is probably good for you.

Edited: March 15, 2020, 12:01 PM

A tournament sounds like a great idea Robert. FWIW, my suggestion might be "apples to apples" types of match ups. Maybe this has been done before, but I am thinking along the lines of VERY specific ride types, shows or parades, i.e. - "best B&M inverted coaster" - Montu, Batman, Raptor, Banshee, etc.... Or best RMC conversion coaster... Although that one's probably a slam dunk for a certain Cedar Fair park :-). Just my 2 cents on the topic. Would be fun again to have any type of tournament during this "downtime".

Really enjoy the site and appreciate your recent time and efforts to keep us updated on the current Coronavirus situation. Even though we had plans to visit Universal Orlando during April spring break (Apr 6-10), I realistically don't expect the parks to reopen by then. Our "plan B", Dollywood and Pigeon Forge, TN may be a viable option if Herschend decides to reopen by then.

If neither plan works out, I certainly recognize this situation as a "first world problem". Watching a documentary last night on CNN about doctors in Africa fighting past Ebola outbreaks certainly provided a stark reminder of that.

March 15, 2020, 1:42 PM

I like Ed Newman’s idea of a tournament with “apples to apples”. Could have multiple coaster type match ups or attractions for certain park chains?

March 15, 2020, 4:16 PM

Okay, gimme categories and nominees, please!

Edited: March 15, 2020, 4:51 PM

Ok. I can give this a shot with the help of rcdb. I realize that other TPI fans can submit various categories and nominees. I think that could make this event more fun and interesting..

I can start with something simple... Best Arrow "mine train" coaster. NON-Six Flags parks
Adventure Express-Kings Island, Carolina Goldrusher-Carowinds, Cedar Creek Mine Ride-Cedar Point, Trailblazer-Hershey Park, Thunderation-Silver Dollar City. FWIW, I am limiting this list to parks in the United States.

I would next submit a list of "Six Flags" Arrow mine trains. With a final vote between the winners of the 2 categories (6 flags vs. other parks).

Edited: March 15, 2020, 4:55 PM

How about a category of "Forgotten headliners", attractions. Those attractions which are still in the park and were, in their day headline attractions... but are now overshadowed by other attractions, or have been left to fade or SBNO.

Could also have a category for "Mourned Headliners" - attractions that were headliners and are now gone.

March 16, 2020, 8:32 AM

I like Chad H's idea about the "Forgotten headliners". Certainly would be interesting to include categories that highlight some of the worst or most disappointing attractions. With that concept in mind, it would also be fun to have a category of "worst" or most "un-rideable" coasters (wood or steel, etc.). I realize that's been a prior topic of discussion on this forum.

With the CDC's latest directive to cancel gatherings of more than 50, I fear it's going to be quite awhile before any theme parks reopen :-(

March 16, 2020, 2:53 PM

Could be a great time to bring back Theme Park Apprentice, too.

March 16, 2020, 7:36 PM

Here are some ideas for rankings:
Worst Uses of Screens in an Attraction
Least Lifelike Animatronics at Big Brand Parks
Best Noticeable Uses of Humor at Big Brand Parks
Best Subtle Uses of Humor in Attractions
Best Homages Within Attractions To Other Attractions
Best Solo Theme Park Attractions (not within a theme park)

Also, I believe a creative theme park design contest that consists of different challenges would be fun, although I believe it has been done before.

March 17, 2020, 10:33 AM

Hi Robert, I would like to suggest rides that have been lost but would like to see make a return. I personally would like to see Body Wars return to Epcot

March 17, 2020, 10:40 AM

In the spirit of ill health, how about...
Ride Most Likely to Make You Hurl
Ride Most Likely to Give You a Headache
Ride Most Likely to Send You to The Chiropractor
Ride Most Likely to Give You Seizures

March 17, 2020, 10:49 AM

With the Razzie Awards dished the other day, why not do a “Worst Ride/Park” tournament? Doesn’t have to be a full scale one, just a four-seeder if necessary.

March 17, 2020, 10:57 AM

Expanding on what Vaughn Miller wrote, perhaps a tournament of best rides/roller coasters that are SBNO or have been removed. I think doing this for dark rides might be tough to get enough nominees, but it would be pretty easy for roller coasters. The only tricky part would be finding images of the attractions that could be published here. Nominees could include:

Curse of DarKastle
Drachen Fire (BGW)
Big Bad Wolf
Volcano: The Blast Coaster
Desperado
Speed: The Ride
Star Trek: The Experience
Shockwave (KD)
Vortex
Great American Scream Machine (SFGAdv)
Python (BGT)

March 22, 2020, 2:24 PM

Nothing about 'the best', please.
Actually, 'the best' is irrelevant because 90% based on personal taste.
Let's talk about authenticity ... !
In times where almost the whole market is re-decorated off-the-shelf industry stuff.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Park tickets

Weekly newsletter

New attraction reviews

News archive