Will all the developments delay your visit?

Edited: January 17, 2015, 6:58 AM

I am pondering whether to book a vacation to Florida for 2015 or early 2016, but then part of me says it sounds as though DHS is half shut, AK is half in development, Epcot seems to be (very) slowly getting on to the refurbishment line, and universal will be getting Kong maybe 2016 - is a delayed visit for 2 or 3 years better? Obviously coming from the UK is not cheap. Just wondered if anyone else is considering delaying a visit? It's interesting because if Disney had kept up with gradual refurbishment over the years rather than, it seems, doing little for years then having to embark on sudden major overhauls, I would not even be thinking of delaying a visit.

Replies (3)

January 17, 2015, 3:09 PM

There's always something coming up in Orlando, so it's really a question of weighing the deals you can get now versus how much you really, really need to see the new stuff coming up. Keep in mind that if you decide to visit in a year where a bunch of new stuff opens, it might be harder to find availability and will almost certainly be harder to find deals.

If someone's a big Harry Potter fan, definitely go now. It'll be a while before any new Potter attraction opens. But if you really love Kong, or Avatar, sure -- delay the trip if you can't afford to go both now and in 2017.

January 18, 2015, 3:59 AM

As far as DHS being half shut, is it really going to bum you out if you miss out on American Idol and Backlot Tour? Perhaps wait for the hat to come down completely, but it's not how many things are down, but which things. Same as at AK. I personally loved walking around Camp Minnie Mickey and taking photos of the duck nephews walking by the stream, Mickey and Goofy fishing in the pond, etc. It was cute. Kind of a waste of space, but cute nonetheless. Are you really going to feel ripped off by not experiencing Camp Minnie Mickey, which is really all that's shut down at AK?

Besides, once Avatar and Disney Springs and King Kong are open, there will likely be other areas closed for refurbishment or demolition, as Universal always has things going on these days, and Star Wars will eventually happen.

The Orlando parks are always in a state of flux, so I agree with Robert that you should go now, if you can afford to and find a good deal. Otherwise, you may want to wait until some of the attractions you're anticipating come on the line. More expensive and less deals, probably. But you'll have had more time to save to offset the higher prices, and may even have enough money to stay at the Portofino Bay, Wilderness Lodge, or Boardwalk a night or two.

Edited: January 18, 2015, 11:10 AM

Universal is constantly adding new attractions since the Comcast takeover. If you haven't been in the Studios in the last 6 or 7 years you would hardly recognize it if not for the entrance streets. Disney's stuff is on the "far off horizon". So you may as well go now. That's what we've been doing. (Note; Looking like Kong will soft open in early 2016)

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Park tickets

Weekly newsletter

New attraction reviews

News archive