Fantastic Four and my confusion

Edited: August 4, 2015, 11:20 AM

Allow me to explain my confusion.

Fantastic Four is part of Marvel but Fox is doing this movie.

While watching American Ninja warriors on NBC channel filmed at Universal Orlando, there was a 4 minute preview for this Fantastic Four Marvel movie.

Summary: So, while Disney owns Marvel. Marvel as you know has a footprint at Universal, the TV show I was watching was broadcast on NBC part of Universal and there was a 4 minute preview of a Marvel\Disney upcoming movie who is distributed by Fox…

What the Bleeping Monkey…..

Replies (43)

August 4, 2015, 10:08 AM

Not sure what you're confused about. Companies buy add time for their movies, not matter if they own the channel or not.

August 4, 2015, 10:16 AM

Sure you can buy time on any channel for a movie add - But a 4 minute spot while a show was filmed at Universal Orlando on NBC channel..

Why not have this 4 minute teaser somewhere else?
Why show it, pay for it on a competitors channel during a show being aired while at a competitors Theme Park..

This is very Ironical.

August 4, 2015, 10:20 AM

They put it where they thought it was going to get the most eyes on it, plain and simple. They don't care about anything else.

Edited: August 4, 2015, 10:56 AM

"Why show it, pay for it on a competitors channel during a show being aired while at a competitors Theme Park.."

Disney and Marvel don't own the movie. It is owned by Fox. Fox chose to air (and pay for) it on NBC for the American Ninja show that coincidentally filmed at Universal Orlando. Fox owns the license for Fantastic Four. They must show the Marvel teaser before their movie as that appears to be the requirement for all Marvel movies. Fox has no financial involvement with the Marvel land at Universal Orlando.

Its only ironic because... I don't know why it is ironic. Everyone is getting paid so that's why they are doing it.

Anyone who has a fleeting knowledge about Marvel will know how this arrangement is working. Fox benefits from customer awareness of Marvel whether by its association with Disney or Universal. That America Ninja is filmed at Universal Orlando is a bonus and I fail to see why Fox shouldn't take advantage of possible free publicity. Besides, you should know that Disney has downgraded the Fantastic Four and encouraged Universal to do the same by eliminating Doctor Doom from Islands of Adventure. Disney wants the Fantastic Four rights to revert back.

One more thing, Fox's television channels are in competition with NBC and ABC. Disney and Universal's theme parks are in competition. Fox's movie studio is in competition with Disney's Ant Man and not specifically with television and theme parks. So there.

August 4, 2015, 10:51 AM

Fantastic Four is part of Marvel which is owner by Disney - but the new movie is made by Fox.. Or distributed by Fox.
Disney still owns this movie...

Just seems funny to me to see a 4 minute add for it on NBC during a show at Universal..

A 30 second add would have no barring - but this was 4 minute teaser..

I just thought it was a bit odd and Ironic.
Just goes to show you how closely these are connected even though they are competitors.

Heck why not put a Disney add on the Universal web site..

Edited: August 4, 2015, 11:20 AM

"Disney still owns this movie... "

Hence, the reason for your confusion.

Sorry, Fox owns this movie. Fox is calling the shots for this movie so stop trying to think Disney is the puppetmaster and pulling the strings.

Also, the movie studio making this movie is the owner. I doubt Fox is a "for hire" movie studio for that would be most ironic. A bit laughable since for many years, Fox surpassed Disney and Universal in the box office.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1502712/

"Production Co: Twentieth Century Fox Film Corporation, Marvel Entertainment (in association with), TSG Entertainment (in association with)"

Edited: August 4, 2015, 11:19 AM

No, Disney does not own the Fantastic Four movies. It owns Marvel, which has licensed the FF movie rights to Fox (and did so before Disney owned Marvel, if memory serves.)

Now... Disney and Marvel would like to recall all Marvel characters in film into the Marvel Cinematic Universe, under greater Disney/Marvel editorial control, which Fox has resisted. Marvel has "responded," if you will, with plans to end the Fantastic Four in its comics, which adds some industry drama to this whole thing.

Universal comes into play in that it has FF-themed attractions in Islands of Adventure, and insiders suggest that Universal has expressed willingness to work with Marvel to possibly retheme those attractions as part of a Marvel Superhero Island refurbishment... provided that removing the FF character family from IOA doesn't give Disney the green light to revive the family and install them at Walt Disney World one day.

Again, more corporate drama.

August 4, 2015, 12:00 PM

Thanks Robert

Now I will assume Fox has to pay Disney for said FF..
With that being true Disney will now most likely get less monies from Fox for FF profits since they just gave monies to Universal Via NBC for a major add of 4 minutes. I am not talking about a 15 or 30 second spot.

Plus they added some Deadpool tease in it.

That is why it is ironical and funny to me – a 4 minute add during a show on NBC filmed at Universal for ultimately an Disney IP.

And let’s say Fox makes a total crap Movie – Can Disney reject it?
Since untimely this is a Marvel IP… Or are they stuck with it.

Edited: August 4, 2015, 2:16 PM

Can Disney reject Spiderman 3 and the recent reboots? How about the two Incredible Hulk movies? How does Disney reject a movie? Bury it like Sound of the South? Goodness. Surely buy it back from the studios and light a torch.

More accurately, Disney can't reject a movie that it didn't order. LOL. "Hey, that $100 million movie, dump it, try again." Fat chance.

August 4, 2015, 1:32 PM

Well Remember, Harry Potter is made by Warner Bros, the theme park rights are with Universal, and although WB has a Harry Potter themed attraction outside London, they're blocked from anything resembling a "theme park" because of Universals option.... I understand this limits what the actual Warner themed theme parks can do as well.

...Plus the Simpsons are a Fox property in a Universal park... Although Fox's attempts at theme park glory haven't been successful, to date at least.

Edited: August 4, 2015, 2:19 PM

Disney or marvel have no say or power over the fantastic four movie , it's all Fox

Edited: August 4, 2015, 8:33 PM

Fox has had some success with their Xmen license with a couple of halfway decent movies (Xmen 1&2, First Class, and Days of Future Past - the rest were pretty lousy). However, with Fantastic Four their track record is abysmal. Personally, I think this new reboot film looks just as awful as the first two and I hope it fails - I would love for Kevin Feige and the Marvel/Disney bunch to get their hands on both the FF and Xmen... but Fox is dug in and won't let go.

Incidentally, the current Metacritic rating for FF is 32/100, and Rotten Tomatoes has it at 20% (in other words, it's rotten). Marvel fans who hate seeing their favorite comic characters ruined by Fox need to skip seeing the Fantastic Four in the theater and wait for the small screen version - if they must see it at all.

Edited: August 11, 2015, 8:11 AM

Update: The Metacritic for Fant-4-Stic has now dropped to 29, and the Rotten Tomatoes rating plunged to 11%. Not good. And while I don't condone foul language in any way shape or form, I gotta admit Movie Bob's review of this "film" is hilarious (I leave it to you to search out his review on youtube since, as I said, I don't promote cussing).

Good news, though, Marvel may be getting the rights to Fant-4-Stic back sooner than later....!

August 6, 2015, 11:47 AM

James, I doubt that happens. Fox and Marvel basically hate each other, and I'm willing to bet this movie makes enough money for Fox to make another.

August 6, 2015, 12:09 PM

it depends whats in the contract. I'm sure that if the movie is so bad that it hurts the Fantastic 4 Brand there will be some claw back clause.

Edited: August 6, 2015, 12:18 PM

Sean, with a $120M budget, Fox needs to make over $200M just to break even.... And then earn enough above that mark to justify a sequel.

And who's gonna pay to go see this drek? Sharknado fans?

Hatred can only take you so far... At some point money does come into play.

August 6, 2015, 12:47 PM

It doesn't really matter what the reviews say, all that matters is what the box office take is going to be. Remember, Transformers was one of the worst reviewed films last year and it made a ton and a half of cash. Obviously, Fox is hoping Fantastic 4 makes Guardians of the Galaxy money, reflected by opening on the first August Friday like Guardians did.

Even if Disney were to reclaim the rights to Fox's characters, sadly, there wouldn't be enough time to get them ready to appear in Infinity War. And that's a shame since that should be the biggest and best Marvel movie of all time (Avengers, Guardians of the Galaxy, Spiderman and everyone else teaming up? I'm there).

August 6, 2015, 1:15 PM

James; Warning. I've heard the "We love Sharknado" fan club has you on their hit list. Advice. Look up into the sky before walking outdoors. LOL

Edited: August 6, 2015, 2:08 PM

James, you're right, of course, but Transformers had a built in audience and a track record for big box office success. The previous Fox FF movies had very modest box office numbers which decreased from the first movie to the Silver Surfer sequel. It is unlikely FF 2015, a poorly rated, steaming pile of trash, will reach the lofty numbers of a Transformers flick. But we'll find out soon enough.

And Rob, I'll keep my head on a swivel. (I hope the Sharknado fans don't take that comment literally!)

August 6, 2015, 2:24 PM

On the topic of the first FF flick, I was a Ioan Grufford fan (He's awesome as Hornblower), but even I can't defend his performance in those movies. He kept switching between his Welsh, American, and English accents....

August 6, 2015, 2:32 PM

The Transformers movies gone from bad to worse. Can't be worse than the Fantastic 4. So I imagine it might still do well. FF isn't so loved, but good enough for a sequel and a reboot.

August 6, 2015, 6:11 PM

I am a bit of a comic book nerd, so it offends me when studios make mediocre superhero films, like this one.

I actually haven't seen the movie, but Rotten Tomatoes is convincing enough.

And you say this is the studio that made X-Men?

Ah well, I guess I just have to wait till Deadpool comes out for a half-decent superhero flick...

August 7, 2015, 1:38 AM

Well, it appears that even Josh Trank, the film's director, hates it. Not a good sign, for the studio or the director.

Edited: August 7, 2015, 10:07 AM

FF made $2.7M from Thursday pre-shows which is less than half what Ant-Man did a few weeks back. Most experts are predicting the film will struggle to make even $40M in its first weekend. Looking down the road, with the bad word of mouth and critical tongue lashing this insult to celluloid is taking, the road to break even looks bleak indeed. Fox needs to admit defeat and abandon ship. Leave the Super Heroes to the Marvel folks who actually know what they are doing.

Trash is trash, folks. Let's avoid this money grab like the dumpster fire that it is!

August 8, 2015, 8:10 AM

UPDATE: Very weak opening on Friday for FF (including Thursday preshows): $11.3M, or about half of what the original Fox picture did ten years ago. Estimates have it at making about $25M to $28M this weekend, which means it will be a BOMB.

Good job, everyone.

August 8, 2015, 3:42 PM

Before you see the Fantastic Four revert to Disney, I'm sure we will see them have some cross over with the X Men which have been very successful for FOX and with their increased splintering of the X Men franchise coming.

Even a break even for Fox is better than letting it revert Disney and allow them to have another tent pole franchise.

I think the contract do require films being actively produced for in certain time frames to protect the rights.

Edited: August 8, 2015, 9:32 PM

You could certainly be right about Fox just making the FF a side show in the upcoming Xmen films (rumor has it the planned FF sequel in 2017 is already close to being canceled), but this particular film has almost no chance of breaking even - unless foreign viewers sweep in and save the day. We'll get the global estimates tomorrow and see what we see.

August 9, 2015, 12:50 PM

UPDATE: $26M domestic. Predicted to make $60M for its entire domestic run. Certified: BOMB!

August 9, 2015, 12:59 PM

Great... Now we get to see another reboot done in 2020 in the Cinematic Universe...

Yay.....

August 9, 2015, 10:23 PM

It made $60M worldwide. I predict it will breakeven, but not be a success.

August 10, 2015, 12:36 AM

Can Universal now just say...take the Floptastic Four back, Disney! We don't want them, anyway.

I have no interest in seeing this movie, though I really enjoyed Josh Trank's movie Chronicle, even if the ending seemed to kind of come and go way too fast. I understand FF has some odd pacing as well.

A 9% on Rotten Tomatoes. Nuff Said.

Edited: August 10, 2015, 4:29 PM

The actual domestic numbers came in lower than estimated at $25.7M. Even critically panned genre tent poles like John Carter, Lone Ranger, and After Earth all had bigger opening weekends than Fantastic Four. This bomb will have a very difficult time making its money back even with the foreign markets. Which means we probably won't see another FF feature from Fox...ever. And that result, I think, is a good thing.

August 10, 2015, 5:40 PM

Universal does not control the Fantastic Four movie franchise, Fox does. Why should Universal give up their FF theme park rights?

I guess the real question is, after the dismal box office performance of Fant-4-Stic, why would Universal want to keep the rights?

August 10, 2015, 9:15 PM

Because Universal's Marvel Island is themed to the comics which are great, not the live action movies which garner mixed reviews.

August 10, 2015, 9:23 PM

I go to Islands of Adventure several times a year, see the costumed Marvel characters (including Dr. Doom of FF) interact with guests and the actual paying customers enjoy that tremendously and don't care a rat's patutie about FF or Avengers or Spider-Man movie rights.

Ratatouille? ;)

Doctor Doom's Fearfall needs to go away regardless... it is a blight on the landscape of IOA and as an attraction it is far beneath the rising standards of Universal Orlando. Perhaps there is a Six Flags park that will take it off Universal's hands?

As for character meet 'n' greets, I just hope the tens of people who see Fant-4-Stic won't come to the park expecting to see those versions of the FF and Dr. Doom. And I expect Universal is smart enough to stay true to the comics and NOT the crappy Fox movies.

August 12, 2015, 11:08 PM

Well, based on the low number of people who saw the new FF movie, I expect the chances of anyone at the park actually knowing the difference between the movie and comic book versions of the characters to be quite low. [rim shot]

August 13, 2015, 5:09 AM

Dr. Doom at least has one of the best pre show videos. The propaganda is pretty funny. The ride isn't anything special.

August 15, 2015, 10:58 AM

Does anyone else remember the Marvel parades a while back at Universal Studios Hollywood? It was my favorite part of the park and then they got rid of it...Universal should be allowed to make new Marvel atractions

August 15, 2015, 5:41 PM

I believe Universal hollywood lost the rights to the Marvel characters when they let their usage lapse. That's one of the reasons Disney can use Marvel in Anaheim if they want.

August 24, 2015, 5:23 AM

So the FF movie has flopped and will most likely be written off at a significant loss. But will the rights go back to Disney?

Highly unlikely.

Fox has had the rights for a long long time. They actually almost lost them in the late 90s, so they made an el cheapo z-grade movie that had a limited limited limited release just so they could retain the rights.

They own the rights, and all they need to do to keep them is occasionally make a movie with them. Even guest starring in an X-Men movie would suffice I think.

Daredevil, Ghostrider and punisher (? Blade too) all went back to Disney under these circumstances. As for the comic being stopped, my understanding is that this is due to poor readership, rather than an underhanded attempt toget the movie rights back.

I wouldn't mind if FF returned to Disney, since Fox has shown a clear lack of ability to do something good with the IP. X-Men on the other hand has been great, and I personally think it's best if more than 2 studios canmake big budget comic book movies.

Edited: August 27, 2015, 5:11 AM

Fox don't own the rights to Fantastic Four movies. Constantin Films do. It was Constantin who teamed up with Roger Corman to make a quickie in the 90s to keep the rights and then they went on to make a long-term partnership with 20th Century Fox, who became the dominant partner (as they're mostly paying for the films). Constantin Films also own Namor rights as part of the FF package, but Fox didn't want him to his film is at Universal (and probably will never get made). So although the new film is a massive flop, the movie rights are massively complicated and hard to say what will happen next. In theory, Constantin could partner with Marvel/Disney but that's probably unlikely.

Anyway, none of this has to do do with theme parks, which are separate rights. Bear in mind Merlin also have Marvel areas at some attractions, such as Madame Tussauds London. If only Marvel's 90s bosses had made a coherent plan instead of just selling off rights to the highest bidders who happened to get in touch that week.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Park tickets

Weekly newsletter

New attraction reviews

News archive