Orlando/SoCal Theme Park Showdown: Tower of Terror vs. Tower of Terror
Published: October 14, 2011 at 8:02 AM
Disney's Hollywood Studios' Twilight Zone Tower of Terror: Sunset Boulevard
Disney California Adventure's Twilight Zone Tower of Terror: Hollywood Pictures Backlot
The differences? Both versions of Tower or Terror are, at their heart, themed drop rides set in a hotel. Beyond that, though, the differences are substantial. The Hollywood Studios original in Florida opened in July 1994 and its exterior is inspired by the Hollywood Tower in California. (You can see it just north of the 101 freeway in Hollywood, if you're ever out our way). The California Adventure version opened 10 years later, in May 2004, and its exterior is inspired by Pasadena's Castle Green.
On the inside, once you've boarded the elevator, you are in for different ride experiences on each coast, In Florida's Tower of Terror, you proceed up the first elevator shaft, before proceeding forward into a Fifth Dimension scene that will lead you to the drop shaft. In the drop shaft, riders get a randomized pattern of drops, before descending to the unload station. In California, your elevator pushes back immediately, before rising to the "ghost riders" scene, then proceeding to the drop sequence in the same shaft.
Feel free to further break down the match-up in the comments.
Other Showdown winners:
- Disneyland's Fantasmic! defeats Walt Disney World's Fantasmic!, 51% - 49%
- SeaWorld Orlando's Journey to Atlantis defeats SeaWorld San Diego's Journey to Atlantis, 84% - 16%
- Disneyland's It's a Small World defeats Walt Disney World's It's a Small World, 70% - 30%
- Walt Disney World's Splash Mountain defeats Disneyland's Splash Mountain, 76% - 24%
- Islands of Adventure's Jurassic Park River Adventure defeats Universal Studios Hollywood's Jurassic Park - The Ride, 58% - 42%
- Walt Disney World's Tom Sawyer's Island defeats Disneyland's Pirates Lair at Tom Sawyer's Island, 59% - 41%
- Disneyland's Pirates of the Caribbean defeats Walt Disney World's Pirates of the Caribbean, 75% - 25%
- Walt Disney World's Space Mountain defeats Disneyland's Space Mountain, 52% - 48%
- Universal Studios Florida's Revenge of the Mummy defeats Universal Studios Hollywood's Revenge of the Mummy, 87% - 13%
- Walt Disney World's Buzz Lightyear Space Ranger Spin defeats Disneyland's Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters, 56% - 44%
- Walt Disney World's Haunted Mansion defeats Disneyland's Haunted Mansion, 58% - 42%