Orlando/SoCal Theme Park Showdown: Revenge of the Mummy vs. Revenge of the Mummy
Published: October 12, 2011 at 12:14 PM
The differences? Universal Florida's Revenge of the Mummy opened in May 2004, in the old Kongfrontation building on New York street. Set amidst the filming of the fictional "Revenge of the Mummy" sequel to 1999's The Mummy and 2001's The Mummy Returns, the ride features an elaborate pre-show narrative starring Brendan Fraser, star of The Mummy films. The Hollywood version opened a month later in the old E.T. soundstage on the park's Lower Lot. Ironically, the Hollywood version skips the Fraser narrative "wrap" around the ride, despite the fact that the Hollywood park, unlike its Orlando sibling, actually is a working daily film studio.
On both versions of the ride, you are tempted by the evil Imhotep with a room filled with treasure before mummy soldiers attack to claim your souls for all eternity. In the Hollywood version, you launch then into the roller coaster portion of the ride, which is interrupted in the middle by the scarab attack before you plunge backward into the darkness. In Florida, you move first to the scarab beetle attack, then your car drops and turns around before launching into the coaster portion of the ride.
In Hollywood, you encounter Imhotep one final time before the curse is broken with fog and fire and you return to the living. In Florida, well, let's just say you get to see Imhotep a couple more times. Perhaps that's the biggest difference between the two rides. The Orlando version might be a bit longer, and include the Fraser overlay. But in Hollywood you know that Imhotep is defeated. In Orlando? You're not so sure...
Feel free to further break down the match-up in the comments.
Other Showdown winners:
- Disneyland's Fantasmic! defeats Walt Disney World's Fantasmic!, 51% - 49%
- SeaWorld Orlando's Journey to Atlantis defeats SeaWorld San Diego's Journey to Atlantis, 84% - 16%
- Disneyland's It's a Small World defeats Walt Disney World's It's a Small World, 70% - 30%
- Walt Disney World's Tower of Terror defeats Disney California Adventure's Tower of Terror, 91% - 9%
- Walt Disney World's Splash Mountain defeats Disneyland's Splash Mountain, 76% - 24%
- Islands of Adventure's Jurassic Park River Adventure defeats Universal Studios Hollywood's Jurassic Park - The Ride, 58% - 42%
- Walt Disney World's Tom Sawyer's Island defeats Disneyland's Pirates Lair at Tom Sawyer's Island, 59% - 41%
- Disneyland's Pirates of the Caribbean defeats Walt Disney World's Pirates of the Caribbean, 75% - 25%
- Walt Disney World's Space Mountain defeats Disneyland's Space Mountain, 52% - 48%
- Walt Disney World's Buzz Lightyear Space Ranger Spin defeats Disneyland's Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters, 56% - 44%
- Walt Disney World's Haunted Mansion defeats Disneyland's Haunted Mansion, 58% - 42%